Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Yasso 800's

If you've never heard of The Yasso 800 workout, I'll try to explain it. It's supposed to be a pretty good measure of estimating what time you're capable of running a marathon in (as long as you put in the training, of course) based on how fast you can run 800 meters.

Sounds simple, right? It's actually more challenging than you'd expect. You don't just run that 800 meters once, you do it 10 times. Not sounding so simple now, is it?

This is what you do - say you want to run a 4-hour marathon (like me!). So, you need to run 800 meters (or half a mile) in 4 minutes, then jog for 4 minutes and that is one round. And like I said, you work your way up to 10 rounds of that. A 3-minute half mile would equal a 3-hour marathon, 3 minutes and 30 seconds would equal 3 hours and 30 minutes, etc. I'm currently at two rounds, building a base, and I'm slightly dreading adding that third round. This is definitely going to be a lot of work, but so worth it if it works!

Adding to that, I'm looking into a half marathon training plan to get me under 2 hours and I'm going to be a lean, mean running machine! Fingers crossed!

On the food side of life, I have to tell you about my amazing discovery. There's this local business online called Backyard Produce and for $25 a week they deliver fresh, locally grown fruit and veg to my door. I don't think it's possible to beat that deal. You have the option to get their variety box and they'll send you what's best that week, or you can custom order what you want. My first delivery should show up this week and I'm so excited! I have a feeling I'm going to be coming up with all kinds of new recipes!

In case I don't post again for a bit, Happy Halloween and good luck on YOUR Yasso 800's!


No comments:

Post a Comment