Friday, April 12, 2013

Hawaii - Day 4 - Hula Dancer

Today we dropped the hubby off at the airport because he has to get back to work, so the rest of the trip will be just me and the momma.

We kind of took it easy this morning and hung out on the balcony in the sun until our 10am hula lessons! I need to preface this with that me and my momma are two of the least graceful people alive. The guy taught us the moves for our feet, but then changed it up when we applied it and we got all confused. The momma reached her limit when we were expected to move our feet and arms at the same time, so she became a photographer. I stayed in the game, but there were four verses so I would get lost and it wasn't very feminine like you would expect it to look. I kind of took on an Army stance a couple times, so I looked a bit manly. The last time through I (mostly) remembered the moves. I'll teach the momma the routine later because the instructor didn't have the patience for remedial lessons.

Afterward, we headed to the beach! We laid out in the sun for awhile, but the sand was irritating our marathon wounds (blisters) so we went to play doctor (I am a journalist, not a doctor so you entrust life or limb in my hands at your own risk) then moved pool side.

Pretty much, would took a day to just enjoy the sun. Aloha!

*Update * I thought our evening was going to be quiet and uneventful so I went ahead and posted earlier. I was wrong.

We decided to walk to a restaurant that was only a mile and a half from the hotel, so we didn't even think it would be a sketchy area, but it was. We ended up in a shady part of Chinatown, we were running out of daylight and you could tell people knew we shouldn't be there. So, we got our food to go then took the most direct route back to Waikiki Beach so we could follow that back to the hotel. We felt much safer being back in a more touristy area, but we almost let our guard down too soon. As we were crossing the street, a homeless man was in front of us. We were both keeping our eye on him, just in case, but he wasn't being too suspicious. He stopped at a bus stop and we both thought, "oh, good, we don't have to worry about him." Nope. As I walked past, he did this backward ninja kick and tried to make contact with me. What. The. F@ck. Seriously? Did that just happen? After all we had been through to get that food, I would have been livid if he would have kicked it. Luckily, he missed and we just kept on walking and made it safely back to the hotel in time for Friday night fireworks. And the food was amazing! Don't know if I'd go as far too say it was worth the hassle, but it was delish.

No comments:

Post a Comment