Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Recipe Corner

So, I've tried all kinds of new recipes the last couple days.

First, were these zucchini protein brownies. I wasn't too impressed with them, so I won't go into detail on how they were made. They didn't keep very well overnight, so the consistency wasn't very appetizing after my run today. You can check out the original post if you're curious.

Then, I made the cauliflower crust pizza which is my absolute favorite! For half the pizza crust, it's only 3 points. That's less than one slice of pizza with regular dough! I topped it with mozzarella cheese and meatless pepperonis. Between that and the tempeh 'wings' I was in heaven.

Next, was a 'molten lava pancake,' at least it was supposed to be a 'molten lava pancake.' I cooked it for too long and it was just a chocolate pancake. It was soooo good though, that I will definitely try it again and just flip it sooner: I got the original recipe out of an issue of Runner's World magazine as Ryan Hall's go-to breakfast. If it's good enough for Ryan Hall, then it's good enough for me.

'Molten Lava' Pancake
(8 Weight Watchers points for 1 pancake. It is very filling though)

-1/3 cup bisquick pancake mix
-1 scoop gourmet chocolate whey protein powder
-2 egg whites
-Dash of cinnamon

1. Blend all ingredients together


2. Pour onto a heated pan and cook just until the bottom is solid (this is where I went wrong)


3. Flip it and only cook for 20-30 seconds longer so it is still runny in the middle (hence, lava)

Notice the picture of what it is supposed to look like

Then came the nacho bites. They were a disaster to make, but still tasted delish. They were definitely sodium laden, but it was so good after my 9-mile run this morning. Don't let Weight Watchers fool you into thinking it's so easy to 'gently twist them into a firecracker shape.' As usual, I didn't follow the original recipe.

Nacho Bites
(9 WW points for 8 of them w/the dip. Makes 2 servings)


-16 Nasoya Won Ton Wraps
-2/3 cup Morningstar Farms Veggie Crumbles
-1 can Campbell's Cheddar Cheese Soup
-Salsa

1. Cook up the veggie crumbles with a little bit of spices and about a third of the can of cheddar cheese soup

2. Put a dollop of the crumble, cheese mixture into each won ton wrapper and (according to WW)  Moisten edges of wrapper with wet fingers, fold over to cover filling, press down firmly to seal and then gently twist ends to form a “firecracker” shape (mine turned more into just folding it till it was mostly closed)

3. Lay all the wrapped up won tons on a baking sheet covered in foil and cook at 400 degrees for about 15 minutes. Keep your eye on them though because they will burn easily


4. While the won tons are cooking, make the dip. Use whatever is leftover from the filling and add the rest of the cheddar cheese soup and a little bit of water. Stir is up over medium heat until it starts to melt down a bit


5. Add the salsa and give it all a good stir. Transfer it to a bowl to dip the won tons in


Finally, broiled grapefruit. Oh. My. OOOH. MY. This is the only way I will ever eat a grapefruit ever again. I got this gem originally posted by Birchbox, but here's the blog they got it from. The only thing I didn't do from the original post was add the agave. I don't think it's needed.

Broiled Grapefruit

-Grapefruit
-Cinnamon


1. Wash the grapefruit and cut it in half. Use a small paring knife to cut around the outside of the grapefruit. 

I cut mine the wrong way, but same concept

2. Top each half with cinnamon.

3. Broil for 3-5 minutes, or until grapefruit is warm and caramelized in places. Serve warm.

broil it till it starts to look like this

It was so juicy and warm. I dove right in and devoured both halves


On top of all this food, I have done pretty good with my running, too!

Yesterday, I logged 3 miles which was easier said than done since I was still recovering from the 8+ miles from Sunday. Then today, me and a friend ran a 9-miler that my entire body is paying for right now. The hills around my house are so intense! I know it's only making me stronger, but I HATE hills.

The running plan for the rest of the week looks like:

Wednesday - 5 miles
Thursday - 3 miles
Friday - 3 miles
Saturday - rest
Sunday - Alexandria Running Festival Half Marathon

Oh yeah, and a friend talked me into signing up for another half marathon a week later - Run For the Dream Half Marathon in Williamsburg, Va. I'm so happy to be excited for running right now! I have to take advantage of it while I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment