Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Eat what you want to

People ask me (and my momma) how we don't eat meat, if we get enough protein, if we feel weak while running. Short answers - easy, yes and no.

Long answers - I really feel like it makes a difference not eating red meat and chicken. I just feel healthier, I save calories and money not buying meat. Win-win-win!

Trust me, we get enough protein. I've talked about this before and Runner's World has even covered it in great detail. It comes down to not needing meat-based protein. Plant protein does the job, and I do still eat fish.

And I don't feel any weaker during my runs as long as I fuel properly. Lately, I like to eat a bowl of oatmeal with a scoop of PB2 in it (protein!) and a banana before I run and I have plenty of GUs on hand in case I need a pick-me-up midrun. Bam!

Now for the big question - is there anything I miss eating? I will admit, that a big, juicy burger with cheese does look appealing (or how about a sourdough jack from jack n the box!) But besides that, I don't really crave meat anymore. It could be because I still eat fish (I know- traitor!) But there are also a lot of really great meat substitutes out there. Morningstar Farms, Gardein and Tofurkey are my favorites and they make everything from bacon and sausage to meatballs, chicken tenders, beef tips and lunch meat. Anything you could possibly crave. And with that, I present to you my dinner - Chinese food!


Fried rice, vegetable potstickers and sesame garlic tempeh. And without the disgusting, sluggish feeling that usually comes after eating Chinese food. 




On the workout front, I've logged an 8 and 7-miler this week and I've still been rockin out with the crossfit. Runner's World also posted a 'how-to' for using a foam roller, so I've also been incorporating that so my muscles get a good massage. 25-miler on Friday! Woohoo!



No comments:

Post a Comment